Welcome to Tarbert

St Mary's Church

Work began on the building of Tarbert's first permanent Roman Catholic Church in the immediate aftermath of the granting of Catholic Emancipation in 1829.  In July 1833 the Church was opened and consecrated to Saint Mary.  It was renovated enlarged and rededicated in October 1958.  Architecturally the church reflects the eary Gothic style with its long elegant lancet windows and cross beamed timber ceiling.  The adjoining cemetery was extended in 2005 to include the Resurrection Mounument as its focal point.  The Presbytery building to the right is one of the finest mid nineteenth centuary cut stone residences in Kerry.  It was extensively renovated in 1991 retainning all its original features.

Tarbert