Welcome to Ballybunion

9 Daughters Hole,Ballybunion,North Kerry The Castle,Ballybunion,North Kerry. ©@copyright_Angela Stack Ballybunion Cliff,North Kerry

The History of Ballybunion

Ballybunion is in the medieval parish of Killehenny which is translated as the Church of St. Eithne. The entrance to the old course and club house, is heralded by the historic Killehenny graveyard. Ballybunion or Baile an Bhuinneanaigh can be translated from Irish into meaning 'The Townland of the Bunyans'. Ballybunion is steeped in a history stretching back to the 14th century when the Castle was acquired from the Geraldines by the Bunyan family from which the village of Ballybunion derives its name. The Castle was lost a year later (1583) by William Bunyan for the role he played in the Desmond rebellion. In 1612 the Castle and lands were granted to the 16th Lord of Kerry and Lixnaw. Later in 1783 Richard Hare received possession of the Castle until finally in 1923 the Castle came under the care of the Office of Public Works who remain custodians of the castle to this day.

Ballybunion