Welcome to Muckross

Muckross House (Irish: Theach Mhucrois) is on a small peninsula between Muckross Lake and Lough Leane 4 miles from Killarney.

Muckross House is a mansion designed by the Scottish architect, William Burn, and built in 1843 for Henry Arthur Herbert and his wife, the watercolourist Mary Balfour Herbert. With sixty-five rooms, it was built in the Tudor style. Extensive improvements were undertaken in the 1850s in preparation for the visit of Queen Victoria in 1861. These improvements for the Queen's visit were a major cause of the financial difficulties suffered by the Herbert family and resulted in the estate's sale. In 1899 it was bought by Arthur Guinness, 1st Baron Ardilaun who wanted to preserve the dramatic landscape. It was bought by a wealthy Californian mining magnate William Bowers Bourn, as a wedding gift for his daughter Maud and her husband. Killarney National Park was formed from a donation of Muckross Estate given to the state in 1932 by Senator Arthur Vincent and his in-laws Mr. and Mrs. William Bowers Bourn II, in memory of Senator Vincent's late wife, Maud. The park was expanded by acquisition of land from the former Earl of Kenmare's estate. The house, gardens and traditional farms are all free and open to the public, with guided tours of the house's rooms available for a small fee. The front entryway has mounted trophy heads, including an enormous rack of antlers from an Irish Elk now extinct and found preserved in a local bog.
Muckross
Search Events in Muckross