Welcome to Tarbert

The Square

Formely known as Market Square it has all the hallmarks of the central space of a planned estated town.  It was designed and laid out by Sir Edward Leslie in the 18th centuary. There is now no trace of Tarbert castle which was built on the north side of the present square by the Earl of Desmond about 1450. The Bianconi long cars changed horses at stables here in the 1840's before continuing on their journey to Killarney. The Square was the gathering place for street markets and cattle fairs into the late 1950's.  Political rallies and demonstrations were held here in the 19th and 20th centuries.  Today it is the community focal point for Christmas and New Year's Eve celebrations.

Tarbert