Welcome to Abbeydorney

The Abbey, Abbeydorney, North Kerry. ©Lorraine Roche The Abbey, Abbeydorney, North Kerry. ©Lorraine Roche The Abbey, Abbeydorney, North Kerry. ©Lorraine Roche

Abbeydorney Abbey

Abbeydorney Abbey, also known as Kyrie Eleison Abbey or Odorney was founded in 1154 by the O'Torna, chieftain of the region. The abbey is the daughter-house of Nenay Abbey in County Limerick, and is the only medieval Cistercian house in County Kerry.

The name given by the Cistercians, Kyrie Eleison (from Greek: Lord Have Mercy) was in accordance with the order's tradition of giving names which reflected the locality - in this instance the word Kyrie (Lord) being similar to Ciarrai (County Kerry).

The first abbot was Christian O Conarchy and was buried on the grounds in 1186. A subsequent abbot was deposed in 1227 after being involved in the Conspiracy of Mellifont. The foundation was dissolved in 1537.

The remains of the Abbey are still visible today. It include the 15th century abbey church with west tower and some of the claustral buildings. The grounds are largely occupied by gravestones and are currently a cemetery.

 

 

Abbeydorney