Cead Míle Fáilte to Abbeydorney or in Irish “Mainistir Ó dTorna”, meaning "Monastery of the clan of Torna". Abbeydorney is a beautiful quaint village 4.5 miles north of Tralee.The Abbey was established in 1154 and is located north of the village. The abbey is often called Kyrie Eleison (which is Greek for Lord, have mercy). It was suppressed in 1537. The village that developed around the abbey was agrarian. In 1920 during a reprisal attack in the War of Independence, the RIC Auxiliaries and Black and Tans burnt many homes and the local creamery to the ground.
There is a strong GAA tradition in Abbeydorney and its club was started in 1885. The Abbeydorney Ladies Football Club was the feeding ground for the great Kerry Ladies teams of the 1980s and 1990s. In more recent years they have secured back-to-back All-Irelands. They won the Junior All-Ireland Club title in 2004 and followed that a year later in 2005 by winning the All-Ireland Intermediate Club title.The local hurling team has won four County Championships, the last in 1974, and in more recent times their minor teams have had great success, winning the minor county championship in 1999 and again in 2008.