Brosna is a parish situated in the Sliabh Luachra area of County Kerry, Ireland. It is about 10 miles from the town of Castleisland. The present population is 1,200. It consists of Brosna town and 34 townlands. It is a mainly agricultural rural parish, supporting two churches, two schools, a post office, and five public houses. Some famous Munster rivers have their sources in the parish - the Clydagh, the Braonach, and the Munster Blackwater. The highest point is Mount Eagle. Crochaun Mountain is 1,400 feet above sea level, with its wonderful views. Brosna is bordered by County Cork, and County Limerick. The nearest neighbours are Castleisland and Knocknagoshel in Co Kerry, Abbeyfeale and Mountcollins in Co Limerick, and Ballydesmond and Rockchapel in Co Cork.
An old thatched church was built about 1800 when Fr Nicholas Moore was parish priest, in the grounds of the graveyard near the present Church. (he died in 1803) The present Church "St Moling & St Carthage" was built in 1868 when Fr Patrick Moriarty was parish priest, was designed by architect George Ashlin. This Church is in gothic form and was built from dressed stones quarried from the lands of Pat O'Callaghan in Knopoge.
The local farmers drew them to the site with horses and carts. The roof beams were made of pitch pine and the seating is also pine. Many of the stained glass windows were donated by parishioners. The altar is marble designed by Pugin and unequalled worldwide. On arrival in Brosna it was transported by 11 horses. A fitting adornment to the beautiful church and stained glass windows behind the altar. The marble altar rails are much younger and were donated by Denis Guiney in 1946, in memory of his parents Cornelius and Julia Guiney (this is the Denis Guiney who began Clerys store in Dublin).
The Presbytery was built when the Church was, in 1868, a great stone building. This has been home to parish priests and Catholic curates who have served the parish. It was restored by Revd. Tadhg O'Doherty in 1998. The Church's restoration was completed in 2010. The original stone faced interior with a slightly modern twist augments the gothic atmosphere. The church has been the centre of much intereset since its completion.
Flanagans - Run by Michael Flanagan & his son Kieran, Flanagans is situated in the square directly across from the church. It is noted as a popular location for a 'sing song' in the village with Michael himself partaking regularly. Flanagans is renowned for intimate atmosphere and extremely warm welcomes.
The Three Counties - also situated in the square is run by Joe & Eileen Browne. On the weekend of the Con Curtin Festival, the Three Counties provides an excellent food service courtesy of Eileen's sister, Sheila McGoldrick.
The Sportsfield Bar - A 'halfway house' in the village, the Sportsfield is run by Bridget O'Rourke. With a friendly, welcoming atmosphere, it's a popular destination in the village.
Kate Pats is run by John Cronin & his wife Ellen and often has traditional music throughout the year.
The Woodview Bar - more affectionately known as 'The Bottom Bar' due to it's location in the village is run by Paul O'Connor.