Farranfore (An Fearann Fuar, meaning "the cold land") is a village that lies midway between Tralee (17 km) and Killarney (15 km) and on the railway line connecting those two towns. It came into existence as a turnpike; a gate at the cross-roads in the village marked the boundary of the lands of the Earls of Kenmare. Between 1893 and 1960, Farranfore railway station, which opened on 18 July 1859, was known as Farranfore Junction, as it was the point where one boarded for the spectacular train ride to Valentia Harbour.
Farranfore (also called the Pike ) came into existence as a turnpike. This gate at the cross-roads in the village marked the boundary of the lands of the Earls of Kenmare. A toll was charged for horse drawn carriages to pass through.
Farranfore is also home to Kerry Airport which is located about 2km north of the village. The airport serves Dublin, London Stansted, London Luton, Frankfurt Hahn, Alicante and Faro. Because of it's central location it's possible for visitors to get to most Kerry towns conveniently. In August 1969 the Airport was officially opened by the then Minister for Transport and Power, Brian Lenihan. The Rose of Tralee contestants arrived on the first flight. May of 1989 saw the completion of the new 1,200 metre runway. The new Airport Complex was built in May 194 and the runway extended to 2,000 metres.